Participating in an Experiment - What Happens After I Register?
Registration is the first step to participating in an experiment. Once you are in our registration database, signing up for experiments is easy.
- Based on your registration information, we determine the experiments for which you are eligible.
- We then send out e-mail invitations to participate in experiments for which you are eligible. Only those issued an invitation may participate in a particular experiment.
- If you receive an invitation and if you wish to participate, sign up for one session by following the link included in your invitation email.
- We usually run several different sessions of the same experiment, so there are often multiple times and dates from which you can choose. Sign up for only ONE session. It is important that you only sign up for one session because you can participate in an experiment only once. By signing up for a session, you commit to participate in that specific session.
- If you cannot participate in one of the sessions listed in your invitation, don't sign up for any of them - you might still be able to participate in upcoming sessions which we may add for that experiment.
- To ensure that we have enough participants for each session, we may invite more people than are required. The first participants to arrive for the session will be selected to participate. Participants who arrive on time but who are not needed will be compensated by a show-up payment of $5.00.
- Participation in our experiments is normally rewarded in cash. Payment includes the $5.00 show-up fee as well as whatever earnings you accrue during the experiment. The amount you earn will depend on your decisions during the experiment and, often, the decisions made by other participants during the session.
- It is important to arrive on time. Otherwise, the entire session may be cancelled. This is unfair to the other participants.
- Upon arrival, before participating in an experiment, you will be required to sign a consent form in person.
- We often run several different experiments concurrently. We may invite you to participate in these other experiments. If you meet certain eligibility requirements, you may be able to participate in many different experiments if you want.
- Eligibility requirements are established by our Experimenters and may involve the participation of only first year students or students in particular fields of study, for example. Different experiments have different eligibility requirements.
- You cannot sign yourself up for an experiment - you must be invited by us to participate and then you can choose one of the several sessions on different dates and times.
- We may contact you in the future about other studies being conducted by researchers in the McMaster Experimental Economics Laboratory.
- And don't forget to tell others about us! We are always looking for more people to register and participate in the experiments and surveys we run here in the McEEL Lab.